Ages: Adults (Ages 16+)
Dates: 6 Mondays, September 11, 18 & 25, October 2, 16 & 23, 2023. (No class October 9)
Time: 12:30 PM - 3:30 PM
Materials: Students are responsible for their own materials. The full materials list is included below.
Location: Art with Jada Studio, 5 Mill St, Orangeville, Ontario L9W 2M2
Instructor: Ricky Schaede
Ricky Schaede is here to show you the wonderful world of coloured pencils! This course will start with creating basic shapes in 3 dimensions, using coloured pencils to create smooth gradations while learning about the form principle and how to create the illusion of three dimensions on paper. Then, we will draw a realistic animal together from a reference to practice not just drawing skills, but also the art of truly seeing, in order to render realistic forms with correct proportions. (The class will take a vote to decide which animal we draw as a group!) Learn how to layer, blend, burnish and more with coloured pencils to achieve the desired result. The course culminates with students each creating a drawing with subject matter of their choosing, with 1 on 1 help from Ricky!
“Thank you again for being a wonderfully supportive and encouraging instructor. I really appreciate your patience and understanding. You've made class and drawing a fun, safe and beautiful place to be. I've completely loved challenging myself and learning from you. You're a great teacher!!!” - Testimonial from Ann, past Drawing with Ricky student.
1. Set of High Quality Coloured Pencils. Preferred brands are Faber-Castell Polychromos or Prismacolor Premier. The more colour choices you have, the better, so a bigger set is best. If you already have a big set of coloured pencils but they aren’t the top quality brands listed above, they should work fine for this course, as long as they are soft and have good colour quality.
2. Range of Regular Pencils (A good range is good to have, but for this course please make sure to have at least a 2H, HB and 6B)
3. Soft Rubber Eraser
4. Pencil Sharpener
5. Colourless Blending Pencil
6. Sketch Book for Studies & Basic Shape Exercises (8.5” x 11” or larger, the higher quality paper the better. My favourite is the Robert Bateman recycled sketchbook available in store at Maggiolly Art!)
7. Smooth Bristol Paper for our Beautiful Animal Drawing, Size 8.5” x 11” or 9” x 12”